Drying honey is used in cases where the moisture content of the honey exceeds 18-20%, on account of either its early collection or poor quality. High moisture content in honey reduces its shelf life, and results in separation and fermentation, even at low storage temperatures.
Bees can collect a new batch of honey. You dry unripe honey for them.
The atmospheric condensate honey dryer HONEMA TurboHive-A has been designed specifically for the high-performance drying of honey on an industrial scale, taking into account all the specific features and properties of the product. Removal of excess moisture from the honey is performed without changing its chemical composition or compromising its commercial properties. The only difference between the artificially dried honey and honey dried in the hive is the reduced enzyme content.
Efficient evaporation with no vacuum
It is known that, ceteris paribus moisture-removal in a vacuum is more efficient than that performed under atmospheric pressure, due to the easier break up of molecular bonds. However, in the honey dryer HONEMA TurboHive-A, a further innovative solution has been implemented – intensive forced air drying in the processing chamber, which results in performance close to that achieved with vacuum drying.
In addition, the special design of the disc agitator blades ensures the largest possible area of evaporation, using the “principle of the waterfall “.
Pharmaceutical honey production
Even high-quality honey with a moisture content of 19-20% is not usable in the pharmaceutical industry. Uniform removal of a few extra percent of moisture, without excessive heating and oxidation and for a short period of time, is a task the atmospheric condensate dryer HONEMA TurboHive-A is well able to achieve.
Besides the drying of honey, this model can be used for the manufacture of invert sugar, for the production of artificial honey. This means you can use the equipment all year round, even when the natural honey-processing season is over.
Artificial honey is a nutritious and very popular product in the confectionery industry, also often used for the feeding of bees during the winter period.
Principles of operation
Partially or totally melted honey is loaded into the working vessel, which has a capacity of up to 90-95%. A heat carrier is supplied in the form of a jacket, normally filled with warm water, if heating not in excess of 40° C is adequate. If the manufacturer needs to heat their honey to a higher temperature, optional electrical heating elements can be installed. A stirrer embedded in the product rotates rapidly, providing maximum heat transfer between the heated wall and the product. Specially shaped blades grip and raise the honey, which then flows in a variety of so-called ” waterfalls “, thus greatly increasing the surface area for evaporation. Special scrapers located between the disks agitator constantly clean the walls of the working chamber from sticking honey.
Air in the chamber is forced to dehumidify intensively by means of a high performance integrated condensing system that allows water molecules to evaporate at a higher rate. The hot, dry air that remains after removal of the condensate further heats the product, through a recuperation system.
The honey dryer HONEMA TurboHive-A incorporates an integrated refractometer for controlling the moisture content of the product during the drying process
As additional options, the honey dryer is equipped with a recirculation loop and filtration system to clean the honey of wax particles, dead bees, and glucose crystals, as well as providing fine filtration of pollen grains (if needed). The filtration system is fitted with removable screens made of stainless steel, which allows you to choose the desired degree of purification for each application.
The honey dryer HONEMA NAME is made entirely from food grade stainless steel AISI304; on request, it can be manufactured of grade AISI316 entirely, or for those parts in contact with the product.
The basic model range includes models with batch load capacities of 300, 500, 1000, 2000, 3000 , 4000 and 5000 liters.
- Dryer HONEMA TurboHive-A is designed specifically for honey and takes into account all features of this product processing.
- It is the most effective professional solution in the field of industrial honey drying nowadays.
- It allows for a significant increase in the amount of honey harvested per season, with the ability to achieve high quality and gentle final drying of honey straight from the hive.
- It significantly improves the quality of the unripe honey and increases its shelf life. Processed honey is not separated and does not ferment.
- During the drying process, honey may also be filtered.
- The honey dryer HONEMA TurboHive-A has a robust design, which is easy to operate and maintain, clean, and designed for operation on a twenty-four hour basis – whenever you need it.
- It can be loaded with liquid or partly melted honey.
- Its sanitary design is in accordance with FDA and GMP standards. The honey dryer HONEMA TurboHive-A can be used in the pharmaceutical industry. If required, complete validation documentation is supplied.